In ancient Judea, the High Priest wore a breastplate set with stones representing the 12 tribes of Israel. Later, this same idea was used to symbolize the 12 Apostles of Christ. Gemstones have been assigned to the days of the week, the hours of the day, and the planets (signs of the zodiac). The tradition associating each month with a different gemstone (natal gems or birthstones) became widespread in Poland during the 18th century.
In Burma, for instance, where all gemstones belonged to the monarch, the belief that anyone who took stone from a mine would be cursed may be deliberately cultivated to curb losses of a valuable national asset.
Mythical Powers of Various Gemstones:
Gemstones Associated with Planets:
- For mental clarity: Amber, Fluorite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Silver Topaz, Smoky Quartz.
- For productivity: Agate, Garnet, Opal, Rhodolite.
- Building self esteem: Aventurine, Carnelian, Diamond, Emerald, Garnet, Spinel.
- For feelings of happiness: Agate, Amethyst, Calcite, Diamond, Jade, Tsavorite.
- For calmness and balance: Amethyst , Ametrine, Aquamarine, Citrine , Coral, Diamond, Jade, Malachite, Pink Tourmaline, Tanzanite, Zircon.
- For feelings of strength and confidence: Agate, Amber, Aquamarine, Carnelian, Diamond, Garnet, Iolite, Malachite, Onyx, Opal, Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz (blue).
- For wisdom: Coral, Jade, Pearls, Sodalite.
- For luck: Alexandrite, Amber, Aventurine, Opal, Pearl, Turquoise.
- For love and friendship: Alexandrite, Amber, Amethyst, Emerald, Moonstone, Pink Tourmaline, Sapphire, Topaz.
- For wealth: Alexandrite, Calcite, Emerald, Jade, Opal, Pearl, Peridot, Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz, Tourmaline.
Emblems of the Twelve Apostles:
- Mercury Agate
- Uranus Aquamarine
- Venus Emerald, Jade
- Neptune Opal, Amethyst
- Earth Agate
- Pluto Kunzite, Spinel
- Mars Ruby, Garnet, Bloodstone
- Moon Pearls, Moonstone
- Jupiter Amethyst, Sapphire
- Sun Topaz, Ruby
- Saturn Sapphire, Onyx, Obsidian
- Andrew Blue Sapphire
- Matthias Chrysolite
- Bartholomew Red Carnelian
- Peter Jasper
- James White Chalcedony
- Philip Sardonyx
- James-the-less Topaz
- Simeon Pink hyacinth
- John Emerald
- Thaddeus Chrysoprase
- Matthew Amethyst
- Thomas Beryl (Emerald , Aquamarine)
Since Greek and Roman times, balls of polished rock crystal have been used to see into the future. The difficulty of finding a flawless piece large enough to be polished adds the mystique. The mystic gazes at the ball, lets the eyes go out of focus and then interprets the misty "image".
Belief in the healing properties of gems has a very long history, as the rituals of medicine men in ancient tribes attest. Crystal healers today believe that each gem has the power to influence the health and well-being of a specific part of body. The light reflected off stones placed on vital nerve points is thought to be absorbed by the body, supplying it with healing energy.